Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Day of Remembering

Today I am dedicating my blog to a very special Young Woman, Jolyn.

Jolyn died yesterday at 2pm at Primary Children's Hospital. She has been sick for a while with a genetic disorder involving her heart and her lung which didn't give enough air to breath. Her sister, Rowlena, died from this same disorder when she was 6 years old. Jolyn was only 15 years old and was an amazing person. I taught her in Primary for several years and then had the privilege to be her leader when she came into the Beehives. For the 7 years I have known her there have been so many memories I could write down but I would be writing all day. So I will just talk about what she was like and what she meant to me. Jolyn was a very free spirit. I called her very spunky because she never took flack from anyone. She stood up for what she believed in and that is why I believe she did so well being sick for so long. She had such a wonderful family that taught her well and they have such an outstanding attitude. My husband went to Young Women's and Young Men's last night and heard the Bishop speak about her last moments and I couldn't have imagined a better way to leave this earth. She was surrounded by her entire family. In her hospital room they were singing and smiling and when she took her last breath she was wrapped in her mother and fathers arms. It makes me think that she went from one family's arms to another family's arms. I am sure that her Heavenly Father and sister were waiting for her in Heaven and what a welcoming moment. Although I am sure it was hard for her family to let her go they did so gracefully because they knew it would best for her. They are an amazing family and I am very lucky to have known Jolyn and will continue to be lucky to have the opportunity to be surrounded by her family. The last time I spoke with Jolyn was in the hospital a month ago and she was so happy even though she hadn't eaten in days and was very tired and yet she still made time for anyone who wanted to stop by. She was even still giggling every time I talked about a certain boy she had a crush on. Jolyn and I also kept in touch by email and I received my last email from her on Thursday, we made plans to see each other this week, but no worries, I will just close my eyes this time to see her and I will talk to her through prayer. She passed away on my birthday so it is a way for me to always remember her.
There is no doubt about it that I will miss her but her memory and the things that she had taught me will last throughout my life.
God Bless the Manuela Family and I love you Jolyn.

2 comments:

J said...

What a beautiful tribute! Brought tears to my eyes!!

Jenny Garlock said...

That is such a bittersweet story. She is such a beautiful girl...thank you for sharing a dedication to her on your blog. Oh and Happy Birthday!